Core Expectations for International Travelers
Trip leaders for groups traveling internationally are encouraged to develop a set of core expectations and review them with each traveler. This sample was developed for student groups, but may be modified for your program.
Core Expectations for UM Students when Traveling Overseas
- Prepare your personal and academic life to be able to make a commitment to be abroad and engaged during the entire course experience.
- Recognize that you are responsible 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for your personal conduct and professional performance.
- Recognize that you will be perceived, in your host schools and communities as a representative of the University and of people, cultures, values, and traditions of the US.
- Exercise judgment and personal responsibility to protect your health, safety, and well-being, and that of others.
- Engage with host communities and schools in a spirit of cooperation, and mutual learning and respect.
- Learn, live, and share activities within the rules and regulations of UM and its international programs, and the local and national laws of the country you are visiting.
- Recognize that your successful experience is based on the local trust and confidence you build by living and learning in, and respectfully integrating yourself into, your host schools and communities.
Personal checklist for overseas travel
All overseas travelers should use this checklist. Make sure you are ready to depart!